Flu season is in full force. To ensure better health as a truck driver, be sure to follow these seven tips to avoid getting sick this season.
- Wash your hands regularly: Always wash your hands with warm, soapy water after going to the bathroom and before eating. Intermittently wash up at other times as well to reduce the number of flu-causing germs on your hands.
- Drink plenty of fluids: Water is critical to your health. Your body is comprised of 80 percent water, and it’s vital for carrying nutrients, flushing toxins and helping your immune system function properly. Keep a water bottle in your truck at all times and drink from it throughout the day. Soda, coffee and alcohol don’t count, but fruit juice and herbal tea certainly do.
- Get enough sleep: Aim for at least seven to eight hours of sleep every night. Quality sleep is not only important for better health; it also helps you be a more attentive, safe truck driver.
- Get vaccinated: Every year, scientists devise a vaccine against that season’s most common flu strains. You should get vaccinated as early in the season as possible – October is when flu season starts – but you can continue to seek a vaccine well into January. A vaccine is the best first step to avoid getting the flu and ensuring better health all winter long.
- Exercise regularly: Your body is made to move! Since you’re behind the wheel for so many hours every day, be sure you spend some of your downtime each week being physical active. It’s an important habit for good health, and staying fit can also help you better fight disease.
- Eat healthy: Whole, natural foods have far more nutrients than junk food. Eating healthy is important for giving your body what it needs to stay healthy.
- Use shower shoes: When you stop to get cleaned up at a public truck stop shower, don your shower shoes to prevent picking up germs from other users. Everyone should practice this habit to help ensure better health.
With these tips, you’re sure to maintain better health now until spring when flu season ends. If you have what it takes to live the exciting life of a truck driver, Millis Transfer is here to help you have a long, healthy and successful career. To learn more about how to become a paid tourist, call (800) 937-0880 or APPLY NOW at www.mtidriving.com.
Leave a Reply